Friday, April 17, 2009

Going Full Time in Your RV is an Interesting Concept

Going full time is a very interesting idea with many interesting decisions to be made.  We didn't realize that.  But even though it may be hard right now to sift through belongings and get rid of things, the reason and the outcome far outweigh the work.  RV full time, here we come!  Quartzsite, here we come!  Arizona in general, here we come!  Warm weather, here we come! 

As we get closer and closer to our target date for going full time on the road in our RV, we're finding it harder and harder to pare down, clean out and say good bye.  We've sold a few things that we didn't realize we would feel so much attachment to.  Like his two Shopsmiths or my piano.  Which I never learned how to play anyway but I am going to miss it's black beauty standing there in the living room.  At least I won't have to worry about dust and finger prints anymore.  It'll be someone else's worry.

He sold his recumbent bike.  He made a trek on his bike from Bellevue, Washington to Westbrook, Minnesota way back in the early 90s sometime.  He had so many wonderful memories from that trip and it was especially hard for him to watch it be driven away in the back of a pick up.  How about our entertainment center and even the stereo!?

There are so many things that you don't even think about.  We are purging and going through things a little at a time.  We've made three piles or use three catagories.  One is charity, one is storage and the last is take with us in the RV.  Everything should be one of the three.  We've done this before.  We sold everything, quit jobs, turned in all our keys and left for Hawaii.  Just go and find a new life when you get there.  So this isn't really much different and you'd think it would be easier but we're also older.  When we did that, we had no "storage" catagory but then we had a home we would eventually find.  The only furniture we took with us, though, was our Grandfather clock which was built by my father-in-law and our refrigerator.  I know that sounds weird but it was new and very expensive and we couldn't part with it at the time.  However, it was left in Hawaii when we came back to the mainland.

Ok, that's history.  We have a new and exciting life ahead of us.  We should focus on that, right?  And this time personal possessions will be put in storage for when we decide either the road is not for us or the we're no longer able to live like that.  

The hardest part will be to rent out the house.  That's a real scary thing to do but first, we're not sure we will like it on the road and second, the economy isn't good enough for selling it right now.  Let's hope that changes soon.

We're packing up the garage this weekend, I hope.  I've been saying that for quite awhile but I'm about done with the contents inside the house.  There's still tons to pack up but I'm down to leaving  what we need for living here until we leave and that target date is June 1st.




3 comments:

  1. You may be surprised a few years down the road when you realize you can't even remember what you left in storage! I gave each of my 4 kids one piece of antique furniture on "permanent loan" then left four cartons of things at my son's house in California. can't remember what's in 3 of them after only 5 years of full-timing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy...I'm a member of bag-a-Holic and noticed your sig line.

    I am in Australia and am a full time 'gypsy' since about 16 years. We have a large caravan called Rosie' towed by a 4 x 4 and I wouldn't swap for a house for anything.

    I have 2 blogs that might interest you where I talk quite a lot about travelling, recipes etc.:
    http://frompotionstopesto.blogspot.com/
    http://gypsysoul-au.blogspot.com/

    Go well,
    Nerys

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed everyone comments. I apologize for not responding sooner. Guess I should check and see if anyone has posted more often. Usually I get an email but this time I didn't.

    Thank you so much everyone, for posting. I would love to share recipes and our adventures.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete